Utilities & bills

The utilities and bills in your new home are your responsibility to arrange. These will be explained at your home demonstration and the providers for your utilities will be listed in your Home User Guide. The below list is an indication of which utilities and bills you will need to arrange:

  • Contents insurance – It’s recommended to arrange for your content insurance coverage to start on the date of legal completion.
  • Buildings insurance – This will normally be included in your service charge fees. If you are an outright buyer you will be responsible for your building insurance. If you are unsure, please ask the sales team or new homes services team.
  • Council Tax – On legal completion, please register yourself with your local authority.
  • Water – You can contact your supplier to set up an account.
  • Electricity – You can contact a supplier to set up an account.
  • District heating –  A pre-agreed contract will exist for properties on a district heating system.
  • Gas – You can contact a supplier to set up an account. Meter readings for gas, electricity, and water will be provided to you on the day of completion.
  • Bins – Rubbish and recycling bins are either pre-ordered by us or you will need to contact your local authority to order these.
  • Telephone, Internet, & TV – You can choose your own provider, but be sure to check the provider covers your area as some areas are limited. For areas with limited providers, your Home User Guide will list the providers you are able to choose from. 

Other admin

  • Registering your postcode – We will register your new postcode with Royal Mail. For new developments, it can take some time for new postcodes to get through to delivery companies' systems.
  • Parking – If you have a parking space, we’ll explain everything you need to know at your home demonstration.
  • Appliances – You are required to register the guarantees or warranties of your new appliances directly with the manufacturer – and to keep a copy. Appliances sit outside of the defect cover. They will be checked before you move in, and after that will be your responsibility. For information relevant to your specific home please check your Home User Guide. 
  • Fire detector – It’s recommended to test your smoke alarms, heat detectors, and carbon monoxide alarms, and to familiarise yourself with your fire evacuation route and procedure. This can be discussed at your home demonstration.