Today, MTVH’s leading shared ownership brand, SO Resi, has published new research conducted with Cambridge University into the shared ownership market in England. The first annual report on shared ownership finds that demand for this affordable route to home ownership is growing.
Read the full report here
The findings of the report, by Dr Gemma Burgess, Acting Director of the Cambridge Centre for Housing & Planning Research and a professor at the prestigious university, were released at an industry roundtable on Wednesday 3rd February. The event, chaired by property writer and editor Stacey Meadwell, brought together a panel of experts from the property world - Kush Rawal, Director of Residential Investment at MTVH; Jon Lord, Managing Director at Metro Finance; and Ben Fry, Head of Housing Investment at Gresham House - to discuss the findings with Dr Burgess.
The research, which surveyed 24 housing providers and interviewed industry and user groups found:
- Most people buying shared ownership homes are in the 20-40 age bracket and single-adult households make up 50% of buyers.
- In 2018/19 the average market value of shared ownership properties was £265,000, with the average initial stake purchased being 42% and a deposit of £24,000.
- Demand for shared ownership properties exceeds supply in some instances by as much as 10 to 1.
- In many parts of the country, interviewees felt that shared ownership is the only realistic route into home ownership for households with relatively low deposits. The product offers flexibility as it opens home ownership at a range of possible price points to households with modest deposits.
- Most interviewees highlighted the important role that shared ownership plays in creating mixed communities.
Kush Rawal, Director of Residential Investment at Metropolitan Thames Valley Housing, commented: “We are pleased that this report – the first of many that we plan to commission – proves the valuable role that shared ownership has in helping people take their first steps on the property ladder. We are determined to guide people every step of the way, with simple, clear and transparent language that ensures that there are no surprises down the line.”