SO Resi guide to presenting your home ready for a Resale viewing
When it comes to selling your home, first impressions count. A potential buyer will be creating an image of your property in their head, imagining themselves within those four walls, long before they pass through the front door.
Have a look at our quick tips to presenting your home effectively, to help you maximise your chance of selling as quickly as possible.
Try and avoid decorating your home with strong colours or in a distinctive individual style. A simple natural shade of a fresh coat of paint or new tiling can do wonders to smarten up your property.
- Re-arrange furniture to maximise the space you have in your property
- Use mirrors to enhance small areas or spaces which lack good natural light
- Give that carpet a professional clean to get rid of dust and leave it looking brighter
De-cluttering is a simple task which can make all the difference. Having too many personal possessions on display prevents potential buyers from seeing your home as their own home.
- Tuck away all the toys and wires that may be lying around
- Make sure curtains are open
- Remove personal photos where possible - buyers should be able to see the property as their own, not yours
Take as many things off floor and work surfaces as possible - more visible space can make your home feel spacious and inviting.
- Avoid displaying cleaning products on window sills and leaving dishes in the sink
- Wipe down your kitchen surfaces, sink area and cupboards
Simple touches like ensuring beds are made, plumped pillows and cushions, will give your home extra appeal.
- Remove clothes and shoes and ensure wardrobes are properly closed
- Clear away grooming products and open up curtains/blinds fully
The bathroom, like any other rooms should be spotless- ensure products are not on display.
- Tidy away the toothpaste and deodorant
- Make sure the floor, shower door and bath are sparkly clean
- Empty bins
- Make sure the Toilet seat is down
Create a good first impression from the outside. It is the first step to catching the buyer’s attention.
- Consider tidying up the front garden as that is the first thing buyers will see
- Consider planter or hanging baskets to make your home entrance more welcoming
- Remove waste bins
The appearance of the garden and any outside space is as important as the inside of your home for securing a sale.
- Cut down overgrown shrubs and grass, mow the lawn if possible
- Put away toys, bikes and garden equipment
Need more help? Contact our SO Resi Resales team on 0208 607 0550.
Written by the SO Resi In-House Team